A College Student in King Arthur's Court

Another of my short story blogs, this one goes into more of a fantasy RPG genre. I think it'll give me more liberty into the environments and plots the story can take. I think this one'll turn out pretty good. Plus I like the title.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Gallatin, TN

I'm a computer science major at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville. I hang out at the Christian Student Center alot, and I like hanging out with friends.

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Beginnings: First Hunt

Sometime around the middle of the night, Lawrence came in and woke Chris up. "Come on. We gotta get out there early."
It was still dark outside. They walked into the cool, crisp air. Chris followed Lawrence out of town. He had some weird dreams the night before. He kept trying to remeber what it was, but he was too tired to think. He was also preoccupied at the conflicting information he had obtained. Lawrence had told him that it was 2005, but he had yet to see a trace of technology. Not to mention all the medieval stuff he kept seeing: the buildings, the clothes, everything. Chris was completely confused, not knowing what to think. Time travel couldn't be possible, but where'd all the modern day things go? It was just too much for a single engineering student to think about. And what about that? He couldn't very well go in and say "sorry I missed the last week of classes; I was under the impression that I had traveled back in time." Maybe he could start by just staying calm. He'd just go along with the whole thing.
By the time they were about a quarter mile outside the town, the weight of the equipment was starting to get to Chris. He wasn't even sure what all he was carrying, but he wasn't too interested at the time. They reached the edge of a forest. It wasn't too thick, but still more dense thatn anything on campus. He continued following Lawrence until they were a good distance into the forest.
"You can put the pack down there, Chris."
Relieved, Chris put the load down next to a tree. He had never been hunting, let alone in a seemingly medieval time. Lawrence pulled out something resembling birdseed. He then told Chris to bring the pack along. Chris heaved it onto his back and followed Lawrence a good distance away. They stopped there, and Chris put the pack back down. Lawrence sat down, and Chris followed suit. He was exhausted from carrying his load all morning. It was still pretty dark, but the sun was beginning to peek over the horizon. Chris made a mental note of which way was East. He wasn't sure if he'd need to know, but it would help to have a mental map of the area. Lawrence began getting something out of the pack. Chris drifted off into thought again.
"So if that's East, then this forest is to the West... So when I first woke up here, I was facing... North? No, the castle was in front of me, and the forest was behind me, so I was facing East. And before the wave came through, I was running to the hill, so I was going... well where was I coming from? Let's see... I was at the library, I think... but is that East or West of the hill? Hmm..."
Chris began to nod off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home